Now that the fall weather is here, and the cold winter weather is just around the corner, it’s the best time to make sure your home is ready for the dropping temperatures! Keep these home maintenance tips in mind to ensure your home is ready for the changing season and the extra time you’ll be spending indoors.
- Clean out any fallen leaves or other debris from your rain gutters. Clogged rain gutters can easily cause water to back up and damage your roof and walls. Also, make sure that your down spout is faced away from your home so water doesn’t destroy the foundation of your home.
- While cleaning the rain gutters, take a look at your roof and check for any missing or damaged shingles. Replace these shingles as soon as possible to ensure that your roof isn’t ruined in the cold, wet weather.
- Hire a professional to take a look at your furnace and do any regular maintenance so you can keep warm all season long!
- Clean out your chimney and fireplace. Built up soot in your chimney can easily catch fire and push dangerous carbon monoxide into your home.
- Check the weather stripping around all the windows and doors throughout your home. Replace any that are damaged or missing, so that cold weather can’t creep into your warm home.
- Test all of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Replace any alarms that are outdated or don’t work properly.
The changing season is the best time to take a look at your homeowners’ insurance policy to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage. Contact the insurance professionals at The Misner Agency for all of your homeowners’ insurance needs.