Simple Steps to Ensure a Safe Recovery for an Overboard Passenger
Taking your boat out can be a great opportunity to relax, enjoy the sunshine, and appreciate the scenery at sea. Even though you may take safety precautions, accidents can happen. The greatest situation to ruin the moment and your day is to have one of your passengers fall overboard. Instead of panicking, here are the necessary steps to ensure a safe and quick rescue.
The Rescue Mission
Falling overboard can be extremely dangerous so it’s important to learn exactly what you can do in this circumstance.
- Alert the rest of your passengers by shouting, “Man overboard!” to aware them of the situation and assist.
- If available on your boats GPS system, press the ‘man overboard’ button.
- Stop the boat as soon as possible.
- Keep the victim in sight.
- Throw a flotation device to the overboard passenger. If they are close enough, use a floated that is attached to the boat with a cord.
- Taking the boat downwind, go back towards the person in the water.
- When you reach the person, use a lifeline or ladder to help the person get back onto the boat.
A key point to note is that no one should jump in the water to single-handedly rescue the overboard passenger. If a second person ends up in the water, it may complicate the rescue. If the passenger in the water is injured and needs immediate assistance, it is strongly recommended that the person jumping in to help should be wearing a life jacket and be attached to a lifeline.
The Overboard Passenger
As soon as he or she has fallen overboard, it is vital to keep calm. Additional tips to ease the rescue mission include:
- Stay visible to the boat. This can include whistling and splashing.
- Remain in place to conserve energy.
- Kick off heavy boots or jackets, and increase buoyancy by trapping air inside of your clothes.
- Stay warm by keeping your head above water and crossing your arms over your chest.
It is ideal to keep everyone onboard and safe at all times. Unfortunately, accidents do happen so it is best to be prepared for an incident. This includes informing your passengers where the life jackets, flotation devices, and recovery gear are and how to use them.
To ensure that you are properly protected for the future, be sure to visit The Misner Agency for all of your insurance needs. We are located in Woodbourne, NY but serve all of the surrounding areas! Contact us today to find the best policy for you.